Thursday, August 28, 2008

the psalm of trek


A while back I was a somewhat active member of The Church of Trek. My conversion was actually a slow one. It started with the movies. They may have been Trek movies, but at least I was getting out. Slowly, the movies weren't enough. Eventually I partook in every television series. Soon I knew more about Trek than anyone I knew (and I used to know some pretty heavy-duty geeks).

For a long while I lapsed, but it was for the best possible reason: to be cool.

Lately, my friends (most of whom are very very cool) have been concerned about my coolness. They fear I'm once again joining the faith and with it the pariahship of Trekism. Their fears are valid. I've been called back into The Church of Trek. Strangely, it wasn't my choice. For those unfamiliar with my unusual circumstances, go here.

Peter (a fellow disciple) and I made our pilgrimage to the holiest of Trek cities (Las Vegas) this last weekend. Our hajj was one of the last of its kind. The Star Trek Experience is being torn down on Labor Day. Soon after, our kind will be hunted and destroyed and the mocking will cease. Well, maybe the J.J. Abrams movie will help (or possibly hinder).

Here. Watch the 7-minute record of our journey. I've never had so much fun at being so uncool.



Btw, make sure you check out Pete's account of the fun.

5 comments:

Maria said...

Awesome video. Here are my observations:

1) You need to wash your windsheild

2)$1 for pringles!!? WTF??!! That would be at least $5 in my grocery store.

3)Pete - I started crying with your "That's what she said" line. You are getting good.

4)I would have gone to the epxerience anytime...you know this...

5) I don't believe "Roggle" means cute little bundle

6)I kind of always knew Data would be Pete's favorite character

7) You are killing me with the phaser. Hilarious

Scott said...

Wow, Jon, Pete, words Trekscape me!

Maker said...

That was so great, on so many levels.

Johnny 5 said...

Geektastic Jon. As a closet star trek fan, I feel a little sad I never saw the exhibit.

Maker said...

Does anyone else think that Jon looks especially bloated in the freeze frame pic on the video?
Interestingly, it is Jon's trunk that is causing his trunk to look bigger. Boom!