Wednesday, April 08, 2009

not just another drop in the ocean

After much diagnosis, the conclusion has been reached that when approaching the threshold of my comfort zone, rather than persevering I tend to retreat.

That's not necessarily bad. I heard that when Peter Jackson started on the Lord of the Rings movies he used a computer program called (I think) MASSIVE for the war sequences. This program allowed them to create hundreds of computerized characters and then rather than animate them individually, just tell them to fight each other and they'd film the result. Legend has it that the first time they tried it they told the program to fight in the most efficient and logical way possible. Upon getting the instructions, all the computer characters put down their weapons and ran in opposite directions.

Of course there are problems. One is the lack of euphoria that occurs when accomplishing something unexpected.

Now it's your lucky day. I've resolved to attain the endorphins that come with tackling the discomfort. In the next few weeks or months or whatever, if you dare me to do something -- there's a good chance I'll do it.

7 comments:

Rhett said...

I dare you to get a job. That pays. Ya I said it.

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

I believe your facebook status says you want to snog Lilly Allen...why don't you start there at the concert tonight??

Jess said...

I second Jaime's comment. Except I'm a day late so hope that was a smashing success.

cumom said...

I dare you to adapt to polyphasic sleep and blog about it. I'll even do it with you. Take a look at http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep/

Charlotta-love said...

I dare you to wear preppy clothes for a week. This mean a baseball hat, polo shirts, and jeans with no holes.

Borrow some of Rhett's clothes. ;o)

Johnny 5 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Johnny 5 said...

Going on Rhett's goal, I suggest you do the opposite and never get a job that pays. Why be conventional? Plus a job that pays would decrease both the quantity and quality of blog entries.