Saturday, August 05, 2006

week end, weak now

The week started with my learning of my Grandmother's passing. You could probably tell from the last post that she hasn't been quite as vivacious as she used to be. She turned 95 in March, so she has the excuse.

The middle of the week consisted of doing lots of moving. I have way too much stuff. I hate being the last one out of a house. It's like being at a restaurant with friends and everybody leaves with their take-home boxes, but you still have to bus the table and do the dishes. Unfortunately I'm wicked nostalgic so, throwing stuff out is out of the question. Everyone who helped out was very patient. I promise to be patient with you next time I weasel out of helping you move. Everything's in now though. Please come by and arrange stuff for us. We may be a little tighter with room this time.

Work blows. I can't complain. I really do like my job, since part of my time there is devoted to doing my radio show. Doing other people's radio shows can be lameus magnus. We began doing two more this week. That means that somehow I need to engineer and edit sounds for these people in between no time at all because I have to sit there and listen to them talk all day. By Friday afternoon I had a pretty pounding headache as a result of moving, work and a change of sleeping habits. Maybe I also didn't eat too well. That tends to happen quite often.

Grandma's funeral was today. It's nice to have it on a Saturday, but I would have loved to skip a day of work for the occasion. With all the other things going on, I didn't think I'd have time to be emotional. We've kind of been planning on Grandma moving on with her existence for some time now anyway. I also really don't like looking at dead people, even when I know them well. I lost it when my brother Andy gave his tribute, though. He read what we all said about her and she deserved the accolades. We should have scheduled things differently, because right after that my brothers and I had to sing and we were all pitifully teary.

I'm now trapped in Provo with family until late tonight or maybe tomorrow. I need to keep getting moved in, but the funeral's over and it's really nice to relax. Tonight the midnight movie at the Tower is Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Everyone knows it's my seventh favorite movie. It's pretty fitting for today. It's about overcoming age and exhaustion. It's also about loyalty and sacrifice. I've said this all before people. If you can get to the Tower Theatre tonight by midnight, watch the movie. Allow me to quote Admiral Kirk's words about my grandmother:
We are gathered here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. But it should be noted that this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave her life to protect and nourish. She did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate her profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, hers was the most... human.

I found out that 20 years ago she provided me and the rest of the grandkids with a pretty nice inheritance. Nice. I hope I'm that nice when I'm 75 (or even 95).



2 comments:

SRA said...

Inheritances rock. Don't spend yours all in one place. ;)

~~

Anonymous said...

JoN,

Call me and tell me where you live now. I want to come over and break stuff that isn't already boken.

- Long duk Dong