Wednesday, September 17, 2008

further reading stumbling blocks

While wasting time at Barnes and Noble today, a specific book caught my eye: Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman. Man! That came fast. I guess it's been out for several weeks now and I didn't realize it. Strangely, I refrained from buying it immediately. I need to mull this over.

Chuck Klosterman is my favorite author. Ever since Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, I've bought all his books the first week they've come out -- in hardback. I was never a Potterphile. This is pretty much all I have. But being first-week fan is not without its consequences. I don't particularly like the heaviness of hardbacks and his books have tendency to come out with bonus material when they arrive in softback. Yeah, I know. What a gyp! The reissued version of Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs contains a long middle section with 15 questions he asks to determine whether or not you can be his friend. Here's the gist of one sample question that I can remember: "The San Diego zoo teaches one of their gorillas sign language and test his IQ. The gorilla not only scores a 75 IQ, but displays an interest in physical games and strategy. Are you opposed to the Oakland Raiders drafting this gorilla?"

Still, how can I not be the first guy I know to read it?

At the same time, the whole reason I went into Barnes and Noble in the first place was to begin reading The Glass Castle, which is a potential book group's reading assignment and they're meeting only a week from today. Shouldn't I be reading that? Plus there are the six books lingering on the shelfari over on the right-side column taking up valuable blog space that could be devoted to advertising. I'm swamped with books to read. Surely I can wait for that reason?

I had the same philosophy in college. I never read anything for fun in college because I always had so much text to read. Funny thing though, I rarely read the text. I didn't read anything. When has not reading something that you want to read ever motivated you to read something else entirely?

I can probably wait. How long does it take to get reissued all soft anyway? Three months? Longer? I don't know. I'm illiterate.

What if the world ends before then?

Anyway, check out here for a preview of the book (to those of you who sent me that other preview, this one's different).

Also, go pick up the current Esquire. Turn to page 172 (or is it 272? It's the Klosterman-written piece anyway). It's hilarious and wicked awesome and strangely bleak at the same time.

EDIT: So somebody also buy me the soft cover of Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs. Also, I just barely learned that there is an audiobook version read by the author. Somebody buy that for me too.

6 comments:

Maria said...

I'm in the middle of it now. So far, not dissapointing.

If it is any help, the Glass Castle is a pretty fast read. If the book club didn't meet next week, I would send Pete home with my copy for you. So is it an all chick book club? You should start a klosterman book club and ichat me in- That would be rad.

Rhett said...

I did the same thing in college but the opposite. I would read ANYTHING just so I could avoid reading the text books. Every finals week I would start a new really good book. It killed my grades.

P.S. for someone I know who reads a ton, you never finish books. Ever. Explanation

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

Chuck Klosterman Rules!! I actually just read Sex, Drugs, & Coco puffs this last summer as a suggestion from Joe. I was cracking up through it! I'll have to borrow his other books from you since it seems I'm always reading 3 books at a time. Also, as an impartial party, you should join my...I mean the book club :)

Maker said...

Hahaha! I was in the exact same boat as Rhett! haha! "Well, I should really get my homework done. Hey, what's this? The owners manual to the microwave. Wow, it really does say not to defrost dry ice. Cool.."

Johnny 5 said...

Jon,

So what's the deal with you asking people to buy you crap? Wish lists on XMas birthday, etc.? If I recall you never bought me anything, not even on my birthday, although I did once sell you and Rhett my soul for a piece of pizza.

joN. said...

so we should do a klosterman book club! first up, fargo rock city.

i may read a ton, but usually it's in the form of websites or entertainment magazines. they're nice and light, literally. books are heavy and i have boyish wrists that have difficulty holding books in front of my head.

it may be lame to tell people to buy me stuff, but lemme tell you -- it doesn't work all that often. making great use of your soul, though.