Monday, June 22, 2009

the horrors of modern living

I've always said that one day robots will rule the earth, and it's not JUST because my whole life I've engorged myself on movies with that same premise. Recently I Googled myself and came across this:

My name popped up on this site BEFORE it popped up for this blog that you're reading right now. This particular site seems to be a place where people send mp3s to their phones as ringtones. Strangely, VERY STRANGELY, "beeMP3" is offering the DVD commentary of Pretty in Pink that Maria, Monica and I did a couple of years ago. Yeah, that's right. IF YOU WANT, your ringtone could be the three of us talking about Pretty in Freaking Pink for 45 minutes.

I guarantee that no human being bothered to find this mp3 online somewhere, converted it into a ringtone and then made an accessible web link to it. Wanna know who did? Robots.

Yeah, not robots that look like The Terminator or R2-D2 or anything, but robots without bodies -- spritual robots in a sense. In a less dramatic sense, programs. They're gonna rule the earth just like in all those sci-fi movies. And they're not even waiting to strike. It's not a matter of when they achieve consciousness. They're not going to take us over. We're simply going to give everything to them.

A couple of days ago I was talking to Stephanie about what she did that day. She said that she was feeling lazy, so she watched tv and Return to Me was on. This made her happy because if it wasn't on tv, she wouldn't have watched it. She enjoyed it, but actually said to me that she wouldn't go out and rent it.

Have you noticed this phenomenon? Here's an even more extreme one and it's all about me. Every time the movie X-Men is on FX, I always start watching it. It's not like I wouldn't go rent it... because I OWN it and NEVER watch the version I own -- the version that's clearer, that I can fast-forward and has no commercials.

I have two explanations for this phenomenon.

1) I enjoy watching broadcasts rather than personal viewings because there's a thrill in knowing that many other people are having the same experience at the same time. It's community pride and cultural consciousness. This also explains why I prefer to listen to the radio in my car instead of cds (and because my cd player's been broken for the past six years).

2) Human beings have been conditioned to enjoy being told what to do.

I believed in explanation 1 for a very long time, but it didn't quite seem so believable. Now I'm thinking the sad truth is actually number 2. Steph couldn't get enjoyment out of choosing Return to Me from the thousands of movies she could have watched. Tv had to tell her to watch it. And me... I'm far far worse.

Actually, "worse" is a pretty negative word. I never actually said this was a bad thing. In fact, The Robocalypse will be totally sweet. I can't wait. Seriously, this is totally my thing.

Jon Madsen Jon Madsen Jon Madsen Jon Madsen Jon Madsen Jon Madsen Jon Madsen is awesome. I only said all that because I'm still mad that the Google robots aren't finding this blog when someone searches for "Jon Madsen." Maybe it'll help slightly.

5 comments:

Nasher said...

When I get a cell phone I totally want that as a ring tone! I may go get a cell phone this week just to have the ring tone.

Steph said...

I'll put $10 toward Pete getting a phone! Also, I don't regret a minute of the time I spent sucked into the worthless Return to Me.

Maria said...

That is even MORE awesome!! If this gets Pete to get a phone I will be so happy.

Rhett said...

Ok we've talked about point #1 before and I till stand by it. I even thought about an idea where you could watch tv AND know how many people were watching it where (including friends). Kinda like google analytics and xbox live mixed. I think it would make TV a community watching experience again.

If you want to get your blog ranked hire, yes use your name. But also link that name to your site. So in every post put your name. Also, even better would be to have other sites link to your blog with your name. Thats one of the keys of google rankings.

Pete i will give you a phone so you can have that ringtone....

Charlotta-love said...

jon madsen
jon madsen
jon madsen
jon madsen
jon madsen
jon madsen
jon madsen
jon madsen
jon madsen
jon madsen
jon madsen

just trying to help.