Sunday, December 20, 2009

a couple of notes on the 2009 movie entry

First of all, the reason I posted it so early is because I'm currently out of town and away from my computer and wasn't sure if I'd finish it in time. Here's hoping I'm able to get the movies of the decade done on the road.

That means that all the movies I see on Christmas day (probably Up In the Air and/or Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire) obviously won't be on my 2009 list. 'Tis a total shame, but I'm realizing I forgot at least two movies already. In 2009 I also saw Dead Snow and Taken. Both were two of my favorites and I'd probably put them at about 22 and 21 respectively.

Also, there were a couple of things in my head that I forgot to say about the movies I did see.

An Education -- I forgot to mention how awesome Rosamund Pike is in it. She plays the unenlightened girlfriend of the other guy. She plays stupid real well and you think she actually is stupid until she undercuts Carey Mulligan in a way that's plenty insulting, but not insulting enough for Carey to justifiably call her out. I guess girls are good at that kind of thing. This chick was a master.

Star Trek -- I wanna say that it was great, but the whole time travel story connecting it to the "canonical" Star Trek universe was unnecessary for me. I could get over it, but unfortunately most of the rest of my Star Trek brethren don't feel the same way. I think that's a shame. They could have re-booted the series and I would've been on board plenty.

Inglorious Basterds -- Christoph Waltz should be nominated for supporting actor. Icy, sadistic, scary and riveting. As it was said on At the Movies (I think): "The guy is terrifying in four languages."

Anyway, here's hoping the movies I see the rest of this year aren't as good.

2 comments:

Maria said...

I LOVED Rosamund Pike in The Education. I totally agree with your description of her role.

J.R. said...

Doggone you! Get over yourself and see AVATAR. Now! Steal a car and go!