Wednesday, June 20, 2007

i read a book!

Bright Lights, Big City, by Jay McInerney. Been meaning to read it for a long time. One of the only novels ever to be written in second person. It started off pretty strong, but kind of petered out toward the middle. I sort of wish the whole book was more like the opening sequence which was fairly trippy. Chuck Klosterman once asked the question "Which do you consider a higher form of art: the riff from "Barracuda" or the opening statement from Bright Lights, Big City?" There is a good sequence near the middle that paints a claustrophobic nightmare of a horrible work day.

Anyway, I hope this helps cure my recent illiteracy.

3 comments:

Maria said...

I enjoyed the begiining of that book as well - but I only read the first couple pages sooo......

I need to start reading more as well. I should borrow Girl's recent purchases from Barnes & Noble when she is done.

Ammon Allred said...

I saw the movie. The movie was not in the second person (well I think some of the narration was, but I think for a movie to be in the second person, mirrors would have to be incorporated into it.)

I once started reading "Soul Mountain" which is another novel in the second person by Gao Xinjian, I believe. I just wasn't convinced I would take a tourist bus into the hinterland of China and strike up a very odd conversation with a young woman who lived there. Pity, because it was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I need to borrow that book. It sounds intriguing.