Monday, June 25, 2007

muggle racing against time

The new Harry Potter movie opens in a little more than a week. I've never been much of a fan, but especially after viewing the last two movies, I know that I won't be able to really enjoy this social phenomenon without reading the books. The problem of course is that the books are longer than scripture (and comparing them to scripture is fitting for many would-be-witches around the world). I've burned several bridges by borrowing Harry Potter books and not giving them back for years at a time because I'm borderline illiterate (which I've previously mentioned). Hopefully I'll be able to get through the fifth one, which was graciously borrowed from Reagan (I'd link to her if she had a blog, but I don't think she does).

I'm still in a quandry though. If I really want to enjoy the series I may have to wade through the sixth one before the seventh one comes out. I think it comes out within a week of the fifth movie. Since the seventh is supposedly the final book, I doubt the final ending will be properly kept from me before I get around to reading it ten years from now. I have three options: 1) hurry and get them all done to achieve maximum enjoyment and minimal spoilers, 2) read them at my usual slow pace and hope they're enjoyable long after everybody talks about them for years, 3) just wait for all the movies, since there's a better chance they all come out before I read all the books. Obviously the first option is the best, but should I really do that when I don't even consider myself a fan in the first place? If anything, I want to read them all because I'm a big believer in cultural events. It may be bad to say, but I do some things because I enjoy the social party that comes with them. I didn't watch Friends so much because I thought it was so funny (even though it often was). I mostly watched it because sometimes it's fun to be plugged into phenomenons that touch millions of people. This is opposed to Simpsons, Star Wars and ABBA; all things that are/were incredibly popular, but that I legitimately enjoy.

Anyway, just sayin' I want to be one of you, I really do. It's just that these books are like War and Peace up in here yo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought about learning about the ending of the series before I actually get around to reading the books. You should have brought this up last year when I would have had time to read all those books.

Maria said...

I wish I could be more of a help but, all those books are the same to me ( don't hate me Pete). I think you are covered if you have read at least two. The books tend to have more detail and small little side stories that the movie usually misses. I know you like the little details. I say keep going - don't rush through or you won't enjoy it.

Ammon Allred said...

My family has almost disowned me for refusing to read the Harry Potter books. I'm sure I'll read them with Elena when she's older, but really see no need to read them before that. So my recommendation would be: stop right now.

Laura Lee said...

I read the first one, and part of the third one. I only started reading part of the third one because the third movie was my favorite.

This is a coincidence reading this just now, because I swiped Order of the Phoenix from my parents' house tonight with renewed intentions to read it before I see the movie.