Friday, July 20, 2007

the pure-blood muggle song

I finally finished the fifth Harry Potter book a few hours ago. It was later than I had hoped. I wanted to get it done before the movie came out and now I only have 22 hours to read the sixth book before the new book comes out. Then I can spend the next day reading that one. I still wouldn't do it because I'm a fan. I'm just really really scared that I'll hear too many spoilers before I actually get there.

For those of you who haven't read the fifth book, the big event happens on page 806.

As I've already mentioned, I'm getting back into the whole Harry Potter thing to pretty much get down with the rest of the crowd. I am (possibly unnecessarily) critical of the whole thing. My HP grudge could possibly come from several sources. I've always found the universe of HP strangely lopsided. Magic exists in overflowing abundance, but without a sort of actual religious direction, it seems kind of chaotic. Also, magic loses its charm when used so very much. These people cast spells to have things to sit on. Talk about lazy! They're all one step away from becoming a part of the magical Matrix. Most of the characters seem pretty caricature-y more than anything. At least Voldemort is naturally sinister, but just about every other antagonist that comes along has the villainous subtlety of Elmer Fudd. I'm hoping that for the sixth book Fudge, Lucius, Draco, Draco's thugs and whatever other minor villains who pop up will at least carry enough depth to them to actually be taken seriously as a people before Rowling paints the villain tag on them. And personally, if Harry Potter actually went to my school, I probably wouldn't hang out with him. He just doesn't seem like a very fun kid to hang out with.

Anyway, and I'm serious when I say this, I think the biggest reason I have a grudge against Harry Potter is because his name is a combination of Harry Morgan and Sherman Potter. M*A*S*H fans know that Harry Morgan played Col. Sherman Potter at the start of the fourth season. Not only was Col. Potter just about my least favorite character in the series, but his appearance marked a crucial turning point in the show; spurning its brilliant humor from the first three seasons. Strangely, M*A*S*H carried on for seven more years, winning tons of awards and becoming the most-watched show at the height of its mediocrity. Anyway, Harry Potter directly reminds me of that whole sitch. Ever since I was a kid I totally dug the whole fantasy setting, mythical creatures and a tiny dash of the occult. Then along comes this watered down version of the dark arts and the masses jump on board. It's just like all those weak seasons of M*A*S*H.

As long as we're talking about names, what's up with the name "Hogwarts" anyway? Would you like to go to school with such a name? I'm not just nitpicking for the fun of it, actually. I'm just wondering if anybody knows where that name came from. I find the name very interesting based on a sequence of dialogue found in the movie Labyrinth. David Bowie calls the troll named Hoggle "Hedgewart" and then Jennifer Connelly corrects him by saying that his name is "Hogwart" (also incorrect). Could this be where J.K. Rowling got the name?

So I just have to say it first, before anybody gets their hands on the new book. I think that the Durselys are going to save the day in the end. Like, seriously, Harry is going to be battling Voldemort and the Dursleys are going to storm into the room and knock You-Know-Who over with the back of the door. It's either that or Draco will realize suddenly that it's not too late for him to not be a total D.B. and he and Harry will cross their wand streams sending Voldemort back through some weird dimensional door.


5 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

Harry will die. Eventually we all do though. :o)

Saule Cogneur said...

In the Francais, Hogwarts is "Poudlard." I don't know that this name is any better...or worse. I've already accepted the fact that book 7 will be ruined for me. On the bright side, I've never been one to get worked up into "what happens next."

Famous last words? Only time will tell.

dre said...

I think people want Harry to die, so they can prepare themselves emotionally for when it actually happens. And Maybe JKR is sick of little Lisa Simpsons running into her asking what happens to harry. Let face it, he isn't going to grow up and marry you, so why not kill him.

My other thought people think Harry will die, cuz the actor said so, so if the actor said it, then he is on to something. Further more, people want to be the first to say "I knew he was going to be killed off! I knew it first" When they really didn't.

I hope he lives because I won't be able to handle people crying over a fictional character. I truely don't think she will kill him, because that is whats to be expected, and surely she can't do what's expected. I hope it is the girl, hermione. It would save her from her eating disorder she has to compete in these movies.

And my last plug for why I don't read HP series, here is the link to my world beyond worlds
Google The Chronicles of Prydain

Johnny 5 said...

Jon,

I recently started reading the Harry Potter books for the first time, mostly because I felt that I was doing it for my own reasons and not just following the herd. I agree with your critique. Have you tried reading any Neil Gaiman or Terry Pratchett? They are two english fantasy writers who actually aren't big hacks like Rowling and have many of the elements you find lacking in the Potter series.

joN. said...

i actually got a neil gaiman book for christmas that i'm not necessarily looking forward to reading, but looking forward to finishing. never read any of his stuff, but i know he's well respected.