Tuesday, March 31, 2009

twitterbaited

Many of you have been kind enough to ask how well Podcamp went. I say kind enough rather than cruel enough because it actually did go quite well -- then again how were you to know that? Somehow the five-minute idea that Mike Place gave me was somehow extended out to a half-hour. I made quite a few contacts, which will make my volunteer job a lot tougher. Here's to socialized productivity!


The biggest eye-opener of Podcast, however was the juggernauty presence of Twitter. Just about every single person I talked to asked me my Twitter information. By the end of the day I finally said "Check Twitter in the next few days and look up 'rexbasior' because that will undoubtedly be my Twitter name."

It's not like I've been resisting Twitter up to this point. I'm not that guy. I really love Facebook already and haven't OD'd. I understand that many devote too much of their lives to these social interweb things, but there's really no reason to protest the concepts outright.

I'm now on Twitter for anyone interested. I admit I still don't understand it, but they made it fun right from the beginning. They started with a list of "interesting" people I may want to "follow," which means I guess that I see their status updates as they happen. The suggested list included quite a range of personalites: Penn Jillette (I wonder if his kid Moxy Crimefighter is on Twitter?), Dave Matthews, Soulja Boy, Has Cheeseburger. From the big list I decided to follow Jack Dorsey (Twitter founder), Levar Burton and Spencer Pratt. Since last night, through Facebook and emails I've added Depeche Mode, Jim Gaffigan and Weird Al Yankovic.

Here is my very first Twitter entry:

just started twitter. i guess i'm "tweeting." is that it? caw! caw! wipporwil wipporwil look up here look up here! hey you guys!

Check me out. I'm rexbasior. I'll probably add a button or something soon. We'll see if it's worth liking.

So back to Podcamp. Toward the end of the day I found myself more relaxed and actually participated. The result was my winning a hat. A baseball hat. Longtime friends and astute readers of my internet presence know that I don't actually wear caps like this. I won it, though and it is kind of a cool hat and it's says "Podgineer" which is pretty geeky; so I think I'll wear it after all.


I do look really weird in it though. Ever see that old X-men cartoon episode where Wolverine infiltrates the Friends of Humanity by posing as a normal human being? He whips a baseball cap on and he looks totally abnormal. I'm not saying I look like Wolverine or anything, but I do have Wolverine hair and burns and stuff.


Oh, yeah. It's the last day of March and I'm finally revealing my March mustache.

3 comments:

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

I have no idea what twitter is???
And you do kinda look like Wolverine in that pic. Now I'll know your trying to fit in with normal humanity when I see you wear your baseball cap.

Charlotta-love said...

Caw! Caw!

Awesome. That made me laugh. and if I may say so, that hat looks really good on you. I know you aren't a baseball kind of guy but... you look, um, really good.

(So my word verification is 'boldness'. As in, wear that hat with boldness. It's a sign.)

Scott said...

Just one question: Is that a paper clip on Wolverine's forhead?