Wednesday, December 13, 2006

new york city by the pictures

Okay, this one wasn't actually taken in New York. It's at the Cincinnati airport. I thought it was a very funny and disturbing sign.

I think that tiny little Island may have had the Statue of Liberty on it. Not sure. I totally thought it was Ellis Island and the statue was right there, but the plane kept flying for ten minutes after I took the photo.

This of course is Rockefeller Center. You can kind of see the surfing Apollo or Greek god or whatever it is at the head of the skating rink. Also notice the Christmas tree. Both the rink and the tree are way smaller than we thought.
This cheesecake sampler from room service cost Maria's company 20 bucks.

And right in the center of it all "IS THE MILFORD PLAZA!"

That's our hotel right there. We should have gotten a discount with all the ad space.

Here's NYU, or at least a flag from it. A funny thing happened at NYU. I'll tell you later.

There's the Empire State Building. I know it looks Photoshopped in, but it's just a nostalgic-looking picture. Also notice the nifty cathedral. I loved the cathedrals in the middle of the city. It reminded me of... home.

The sign out front of the Museum of Cartoon and Comic Art. I had to ask three people how to get there before finding this sign.

I did go into Macy's and it was a ginormous headache. Some of the escalators were still made of wood.

We stopped here by chance on the way to Jersey Boys. Turns out (I think) it's the same restaurant frequented by Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm. The only episode of that show I ever saw was the one where he goes into this restaurant trying to get his name on one of the sandwiches. All the sandwiches in the place were named after celebrities. We ordered the "Bette Midler," or as our waiter knows it, "#6." It was salmon on pumpernickel. Pretty gross.

The view from the hotel suite. Glitzy.

That's me in front of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

I love this license plate. It's a Mets plate with a Jets border. My worst nightmare came true taking this photo when the owner came out wondering what I was doing. He was cool though.

I'm pretty sure Mendy's (lousy picture, sorry) is the restaurant in Seinfeld where Banya keeps pestering Jerry to take him.

Yeah, there's a ferris wheel inside the Toys R Us at Times Square.


Here's us at Times Square right in front of the Hotel about to get into a cab.

Bye New York! See you in March or so.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos! You and Maria look VERY happy. How about a trip to Vegas? :-)

Charlotta-love said...

Jon, It looks incredible! I'm more than slightly jealous. Can't wait to read more about it.

Anonymous said...

Why are you going back in March? Next time you go, let me know so I can come up there (it's only 90 miles away after all) and we can get trashed or something.* The other thing is, you know NYC is a good place to get engaged.... I feel like that's maybe where I got engaged?


*just kidding