Monday, July 07, 2008

reading. books this time. with words.

You may have noticed that I've put a dazzling shelfari up in the right-side column. I figured I had to do it since I read so many books at the same time. I use the term loosely. I always have a book that I am "reading" but I start far more books than I finish. Maybe I should just finish a bunch of books without starting them to even things out.

Anyway, the books on the shelfari are some books that I am currently reading. Maybe now that I've made them them public I'll finally get them done.

Shadow of the Giant, for example is a book I borrowed from the good Peter Nash two years ago and have actually only read one page of it. As I type this, I know the pressure's on to actually accomplish the actual reading part of the transaction.

I started Interview With the Vampire about seven years ago I think. I'm pretty sure I have less than 100 pages left. It's strange that as much as I love vampires and New Orleans, I'd have such a hard time getting through this one.

You may think The Neverending Story is an odd choice. I suppose it is too. About a year ago I heard on this podcast from this guy Obsidian (he's the guy who drew that fantasy portrait of Maria and me) that The Neverending Story is actually one of the best books he's ever read. I asked around and I don't know anybody else who has actually read it. Also, the movie has a special place in my heart because we watched it at the first mixed-gender birthday party I ever went to.

Out of a Silent Planet is a C.S. Lewis book that my brother swears by. Before he wrote his allegorical Narnia stuff he did this sort of science fictiony stuff. I can tell already that this will be a difficult read.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader: I better finish before the movie comes out. If you happen to pick it up, be sure to read the part about Eustace overcoming his sad case of dragonment.

I could finish the Peanuts book in a few minutes, but it's delightful enough that I'm sort of putting it off. The Schulz biography is fascinating, but hard for me because, well, I already said it was a biography, right?

Making pretty good time with the Phil Jackson book. Unfortunately now that basketball season is long gone, I'm afraid the desire to read it will wane hard too.

I didn't even mention all the Ayn Rand I'm supposed to read. Plus I have this other book where I actually promised the author, in person, that I'd read it and put a rating on Amazon. Whoops. I got those too. I'll outsource.

Hmm. I walked away for a few hours and am now back at my computer and am just realizing that I forgot to post this. As long as I'm still talking I may as well provide this link to my Goodreads profile. Goodreads is so hot right now.

2 comments:

Maker said...

I love the updates on the books you have been reading for the past several years. haha!

Also, I may have to check out The Never Ending Story. Please let me know how you like it.

J.R. said...

EVERYONE has one of these now. Dangit now I'll have to do one. I'm currently only on one book I just finished two so it will be bare but I feel compelled to keep up with all the other blogs. Also, wrong post but what is so special about July 14th? Maybe it was in your post and I just didn't bother to read it all. Sorry. I'll go back right now.