Tuesday, August 12, 2008

everything happens for a reason...

Next time someone tells you that "everything happens for a reason," punch them in the face as hard as you can. Then immediately ask them, "Based on what you just told me, do you really have any reason to be mad at me?"

I've done a quick check. I can't find any scriptural or other type of evidence that the phrase has any truth to it, at least in the way it's usually used. The fact is, we have individual freedom. We can make our own choices, good or bad. These choices affect others for good or bad. That's why it's so important that we make good choices. What we do has weight on others. Brushing off every event in life as simply good and necessary and hopeful actually diminishes the whole concept of choice.

That's not to say many things don't happen for a higher reason. Many many many things do -- at least I believe they do. And literally speaking, everything does happen for a reason. Usually the reason is because somebody was a jerk. Actions affect people. Humanity has more control over the universe than it realizes.

Please be nice if you possibly can.

3 comments:

Joey Smith said...

I've always assumed this was meant in the more general 'cause-and-effect' sense than in the pseudo-spiritual sense. You know, as in, "Everything happens for a reason - for example, I just punched you in the face because joN told me to..."

Saule Cogneur said...

A-freaking-men. Sewiously.

Maker said...

I believe that destiny led my flying thunderous clenched fist to your face.