Saturday, August 16, 2008

a great accompishment (for me)

I read a book!

If you don't know, I'm borderline illiterate and reading is a pretty big deal. Books, anyway.

So as mentioned before, I've been reading (among other things) the Phil Jackson book The Last Season: A Team in Search of Its Soul. It's done.

Pretty good at the beginning because he dished A LOT on Kobe Bryant. After that though, I got a bit bogged down with him complaining about how his players couldn't do his beloved triangle offense. I really would have liked fun stuff like diagrams on the triangle offense because as much as he talked about it like it was a child of his, I still could never really figure out what it was exactly. Yeah, so I guess I'm asking for more pictures in a book. I say that a lot.

One of the last things Jackson said is that he and Shaq would probably be in touch for the rest of their lives. He makes no bones about it: he loved Shaq and hated Bryant. He really didn't say it in those words though. He also had nothing but kind things to say about Karl Malone, which gives me an obvious sense of relief as a Utah native. Seriously, though, if you want to get most of the good parts of the book, just read the Sports Guy article on it. You'll have to find it yourself since a cursory look just now yielded nothing.

Anyway, the biggest thing I remember is thinking that even though Phil Jackson is like the most celebrated NBA coach ever, he never really seemed to have any control.

I've hit a couple of stutters in my other reading titles. The library forced me to return The Neverending Story, which is really sad. I tried to renew it a bunch of times, but it was on hold for someone else, so it may be a while before I get my hands on Salt Lake's lone copy of that book again. I should've invested more time into that one so I could finish it before something like that happened. The title though, really sucked the hope away of ever finishing it.

Anyway, I'm also in another reading quandary. Should I devote myself to Shelfari or Goodreads?

2 comments:

Maker said...

1 vote for Goodreads. Even though I don't care...at all.

How far did you get in The Never Ending Story? I heard it was a good book. Obviously better than the movie. Although, in thinking about it, was there anything more random than that old school Dodge Dakota looking flying beast, Falcor(?).
Attraeu was a nancy.

Rhett said...

if it makes a difference, Amazon just bought shelfari. Let me know which is better will ya?