Monday, February 20, 2006

labor and love and lucre and lust

So Stephanie Stephan (real name!) recently told me that she never sees me anymore and all she knows is what I write on the blog. I think she was complaining that I wasn't around much, but I'm going to take it to mean that I should update this thing more often.

This past week has been very monumental.

I went to a radio job interview in Provo last monday with the full intention of saying to them, "Listen, you're very kind, but I spent all last year driving back and forth to Provo, losing money in the process, so I'll be leaving now." Instead, they told me I'd actually making $12 MORE an hour than my last radio job. I guess it's not that much considering when my last radio job told me how much I'd be making the first thing I said was, "Is that legal?" Anyway, this new place hired me on the spot and started me three days later. For some reason I've been going through tremendous anxiety over the whole thing. Charlotte, my ex-girlfriend, told me to not worry. Apparently, all our jobs ever do is make our bosses rich, so I shouldn't freak out about my job so much. Incidently, the radio program I'm now producing is called Free Capitalist Radio and Ayn Rand is a major contributor. Listen to it from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. at www.freecapitalist.com or on 630 AM.

So the day after I started the new job, I fulfilled my life-long dream of going to a monster truck rally. When my friends wanted to go out to eat, I bowed out since Erica and I had plans to stay in and watch a movie. I felt bad for being the only one to leave the party, but I really looked forward to seeing Erica. Anyway, I guess I have a girlfriend now. These are troubling and confusing times for dating, so maybe I shouldn't jump the gun here. I will say, however, that we did kiss and we did tell each other that we liked each other, so that's got to be worth something. I mentioned before that Erica and I have known each other for some time. I met her when she was 15. That means that I'm just like that horrible guy in Memoirs of a Geisha (which i talk about a little right here). Anyway, not only is Erica incredibly sexy, but we finished last Sunday's crossword puzzle AND cryptoquip together. I'll be speaking of her often.

I watched Crimes and Misdemeanors with Erica a couple of days before we started dating. I've been meaning to mention for a long time that for the past few months I've really felt like watching it. It might be my favorite Woody Allen movie. Most people really like the main story which deals with Martin Landau (***spoiler alert***) coming to terms with the fact that he had his mistress murdered. Personally, I like the other story line which deals with Woody Allen as a struggling filmmaker pining over Mia Farrow. In the end he loses her to Alan Alda, an evil television executive. I kind of need movies like that to tell me that just because I'm cool and poor, it doesn't mean the women will flock to me. Of course, two days later I get Erica. Anyway, this last time I saw the movie I noticed the continuous mentioning of "living in the real world." What that meant in this particular movie is that people need to only look after themselves. If someone gets in our way, we need to subdue them in any way we can. I always thought that Woody's point is that there is nothing that stops us from doing so, so we need to be extra careful to not just care for ourselves.

Erica and I watched Match Point on Saturday. I try not to watch R-rated movies. Usually when I do, I don't tell people I do so that it seems like I don't support films that don't quite uphold the standards I pretend to uphold. I realize that this is probably a bad way to go. So, while I'm still avoiding most R-rated movies, I will tell you every single one that I see. That way everyone else can keep me in check. I really liked Match Point. Strangely, it was a whole lot like Crimes and Misdemeanors which was made way back in 1989 (it's kind of a big coincidence that I watched both movies in the same week). It was good because it was very squirmy. Toward the end, I got incredibly tense. If you needed to choose between greed and lust, which would you choose? It snowed hard that night, I remember. What a weird week.

No comments: