Tuesday, February 28, 2006

the dearth and mirth of birth

I certainly can't complain that my birthday was boring.

The day before my birthday Erica and I called it quits (actually it was pretty much her idea). We were actually on our way to the fabulous steak & salmon dinner prepared by my gourmet stepfather. Dinner itself was good. My friends and I totally bloated ourselves and I didn't even get to the chocolate fountain. It was better than moons over my hammy.

I had to work on my birthday. We had to write and record a couple of commercials. Not too big a deal, but this was the first time I had done new live production work in the studio. Anyway, after figuring everything out and loading it into the system I got out of there at 6:30. I should have told them it was my birthday.

The state actually sent me some gifts. I got my new driver's license in the mail. I'll have to scan it in here when my scanner is working. I look pretty stoned. I think it was because I had to hang out at the license place for an hour and a half. The state also sent me a trial summons over an old speeding ticket.

By the time I got home I had just enought time to set up the easy-chair I took from my parents and clean the house for my own party. My people did a good job of getting food and people there. I gave Maria a hard time about the lack of cups and the inclusion of German chocolate cake and drumstick ice cream cones (neither of which I completely appreciate). They were a huge hit, however, so no difference. Plenty of people showed up (most of them knew who I was), even though I didn't really get the word out. I was going to tell everyone myself, but the time just got away from me. I did have time to burn a cd to play specifically during the festivities. Here's the track listing:

1. A Little Respect - Erasure
2. Secret - O.M.D.
3. Inbetween Days - The Cure
4. I Wanna Be a Cowboy - Boys Don't Cry
5. Wild Wild West - The Escape Club
6. Underneath the Radar - Underworld
7. Venus - Bananarama
8. Take Me Now - Vicious Pink
9. Situation - Yaz
10. Desperate But Not Serious - Adam Ant
11. Johnny Q - Crazy 8's
12. Master and Servant - Depeche Mode
13. Party at Ground Zero - Fishbone
14. When the World Falls Down - David Bowie
15. Father Figure - George Michael
16. Riders in the Night - Freur

As you can see, I made a pretty hard attempt to keep an 80's theme. I also had one tv showing Flash Gordon and another just showing Depeche Mode videos.

I cleaned up with gifts. My parents sent me home with a 25 gallon container of food. I got a litte remote control car, a Barnes and Noble gift certificate, a Virgin gift certificate, Can't Buy Me Love on DVD, Songbook, by Nick Hornby, Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges Into Hollywood and 14,000 Things to be Happy About. Maria gave me the last book. She put it in this Apple Store bag that I just can't get enough of. It feels real slippery. The bag might be the best thing I got.

So anyway I went back to normal today. Today was actually the last day I had to use my $10 coupon for Happy Sumo. Erica and I went. I suppose I could spend a lot of space here detailing how we're not dating, but still close, but still complicated. I don't think I will, though.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

boo.

happy birthday.

Anonymous said...

and the keyboard you got that you probably typed your blog on? who would have given you that?