Tuesday, November 28, 2006

slaying the eborsisk

Completely wasting my time has finally paid off.

Remember my friends Steve and Antonio? They were first introduced here and previously seen in the shadows here. Did you read that first link? It's actually pretty important. I spent a lot of time on it so I probably won't repeat much of it. Let me just sum up. Last summer I watched a gameshow on VH-1 called The World Series of Pop Culture. I pretty much knew every answer. My friends Steve and Antonio expressed interest that the three of us should put a team together and try out.

I went with the flow with the understanding that usually these kinds of things just fizzle out. Well, a few hours ago Steve informed me that our applications were in and we would be taking a written pop-culture test on January 27th and a regional qualifier on the 28th. Our team name is "Out of the Way Peck!"

Let me just say that I am a very untalented and insecure in most areas, but am SUPREMELY confident in our abilities in this context. If they think us camera-worthy, we will win. I have a very broad pop culture knowledge with specialties in cartoons, teen flicks, light sci-fi and modern music. I believe Steve and Antonio are slightly more specific in their knowledge but they are freaking surgeons at film noir, cult classics and directors.

This isn't to say that we won't prepare at all. We plan on getting together and playing some trivia games, doing a little study, hanging out at imdb.com, etc. We also need people to regularly quiz us with any type of pertinent information. What we need the most help on will probably be costumes. So far my idea is for the three of us to wear viking horns with t-shirts that say "Outof," "theWay" and "Peck." Please, if you have a better idea, let me know.

From now on, all my leisure time will be devoted to preparation. I'll probably be renting a few more movies than usual. Better start with Willow.

7 comments:

Laura Lee said...

I'm very proud of you Jon. You guys will be awesome.

Never saw Willow.

Anonymous said...

uhh.... ALL your leisure time? I guess I should start preparing flash cards or something.

I still think the viking horns and t-shirts are a great costume.

When you win the series, you can by me a treat.

Anonymous said...

I can't think of anyone who would do better on a show like that than you. Good luck!

Rhett said...

dork!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

so i was bored studying for finals and googled my name, (it'd been a while) and re-found your blog.

anyway, chelsea let me buy trivial pursuit-pop culture edition--with the dvd 'n' everything. the questions are all vh1 level of difficulty. (i watched the tournament, too.) let me know if you want to borrow it over the holidays to practice, if someone else doesn't have it.

Anonymous said...

also, what kind of sweet facial hair does this event merit?