Thursday, December 06, 2007

one "art" please

Yesterday I considered wearing a hat. I was scheduled to tour the Art Institute of Utah and I wanted to look more studenty and less bald.

I've always thought that it would be fun to go to an art school. I think it was ever since I first saw Some Kind of Wonderful and the high school guidance counselor in that movie suggested that Keith go to an art school. I was like, there are such things as art schools? Neato.

Most of the tour consisted of an in-depth interview. That's been happening a lot lately. I hate those. I was leaning toward the "interactive media design" major. The curriculum has stuff like scripting languages, logic, web authoring, editing and anthropology (strangely).

The tour certainly would have been more interesting if it was during school hours and the classrooms were open. The ones I did see had the slanty desks, though. The library had hardly any books at all. Like 30. My tour guide, Lauren, said that the school was more concerned with the equipment. Hmm. You know what I love about art school? No reading. I actually brought my camera, but also felt like too much of an idiot to take photos.

The restaurant there should be pretty fun. It's like an experimental restaurant where the culinary students can practice, sort of like those hair schools where you can get your haircut cheap. I'll definitely do that.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the restaurant. That'll probably be all the school I'll enjoy, based on the bottom line.

5 comments:

Monica said...

Wow, that's quite the bottom line, my gosh. I would've loved to have taken that tour with you, Jon. That experimental restaurant sounds interesting. Do you think Keith ever made it to art school? I mean, he did waste his savings on those awesome diamond earrings. Hmmm, I need to watch that movie again. Laytah.

Anonymous said...

byu's pendulum court in the eyring science center is like that, too--run by food science kids. never tried it, but it smelled good whenever i had my geology classes there. also, what's the difference between an institute and a college? looks like price to me, or maybe it just sounds more... influential?

bec said...

I loved it when some of our art professors would give us 3 pages of stuff to read and then laugh at themselves for trying to get us to read and didn't really expect us to do it. good times.

Laura Lee said...

Yeah. I looked into the culinary school and the graphic design courses at the Art Institute.

$$,$$$

I went to the Pendulum Court all the time. Loved it. My dad would take me to lunch there a lot when he was sick of the Museum Cafe.

Anonymous said...

Did you draw a priate before you were allowed the tour?