Monday, January 28, 2008

1910-2008

The wind suddenly picked up outside. It kind of reminds me of the time years and years ago when President Benson died and we had that sudden microburst that uprooted trees.

President Hinckley visited New Zealand when I was there in 1997. He actually opened the massive congregation up for random questions. One guy asked if anything miraculous, like the appearance of angels, took place during a specific revelation given to the church leadership in 1978. He pretty much said it was a strictly spiritual experience consisting of a good feeling. I'm not sure exactly how many miraculous divine things the guy has seen with his own eyes. It could have been quite a few. I'm guessing, however, that most of the time he saw and heard the exact same way we do. It was faith that drove him and it was in faith he succeeded. This certainly doesn't take away from the mantle of prophecy. It's really why his story is so miraculous. Men become great because they spend their lifetimes seeking God, not because God spends mens' lifetimes seeking men.

I don't know exactly what he saw here, but no doubt he's right at home now.

2 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

I heard the news last night and immediately felt a certain peace...I knew he was with his wife and was happy.

Shanna said...

Hey Jon! I have had an enjoyable time visiting your blog today. I must say that this particular entry regarding Pres. Hinckley is probably my most favorite. Props to you for your great writing and thoughts concerning our prophet.
Thank you--Shanna