Wednesday, March 12, 2008

plugged in even harder if that's even possible

Yesterday (3/11 Day) was officially the day that I turned on the A/C to the car. A few years ago I noted that St. Patrick's day was A/C day. Hopefully, the globe really is warming. My bones hurt in the cold.

Anyway, on topic:

When iPod Shuffles came out, I made fun of them hard. I couldn't stand the thought of no display to tell what songs are playing or how much time is left for the song or how much time is elapsed or what album it's from or what track or whatever. I live for stats like that. Some people need to know the media (and meta-media) they're exposed to. So therefore, I thought iPod Shuffles were for chumps.

I bought an iPod Shuffle.


It's partly out of a justified necessity. I don't feel good working out (and snowboarding) with my normal iPod because I've heard that the big iPods have this danger of getting their internal hard drives scratched and useless after too much movement. My old mp3 player worked fine for this, but its uselessness in hooking up with a Mac made an Apple purchase necessary.

It has a cool clip built in so I don't need to buy a holder.

It's only 50 freaking bucks for the one gig model. It's only 70 for the two gig, but I'd go crazy filling up two gigs worth of songs that I can't see the song title to.

I could've gotten a Nano, which is flash-based like the Shuffle, so there's less danger of internal damage. I didn't because of cost and also because I'm kind of changing my tune about the non-display thing. Since I'm planning on using it for physical activities I figured it would actually behoove me to NOT have the tempting distraction of a display.

Here's my first pump-up playlist I entitled "partyyyy" (maybe I should've called it "pumtttt").
1. On A Plain -- Nirvana
2. Sweat -- Oingo Boingo
3. Flash -- Queen
4. Paranoid Android -- Radiohead
5. Guerilla Radio -- Rage Against the Machine
6. House of Jealous Lovers -- The Rapture
7. I Am One -- Smashing Pumpkins
8. Rusty Cage -- Soundgarden
9. I See Red -- Split Enz
10. Hyperactive! -- Thomas Dolby
11. Rag & Bone -- The White Stripes
12. Common People -- William Shatner
13. Date With the Night -- Yeah Yeah Yeahs
14. You're Gonna Miss Me -- The 13th Floor Elevators
15. Party 'Til You Puke -- Andrew W.K.
What do you think of my playlist? Are there other songs that you use to get pumped? What do you think of my songs? If you are unfamiliar with any of these, get familiar, because I really do listen to awesome music.

I took Yvette-a-tette (that's the name of the Shuffle. I named her after my other iPod, Yvette) to the gym today with this playlist. I must say that I only got up through "House of Jealous Lovers." Part of that had to do with my ending my 14-minute run with a little leg stretching while I attempted to let the machine take my pulse. I lifted my right leg up behind me and rested it on the treadmill's side hand-rail. I figured I'd do a little impressive gym stretching and decided to lift my other leg over onto the other hand rail. So I kind of attempted to get into this sort of "flying" position. That's when my left glute pulled. Hard. At least the machine wasn't running because the last thing I needed was to trip on the treadmill (again).

4 comments:

Saule Cogneur said...

"Yvette a la tete" means "Yvette a the head." Sounds like you've made a wise choice. Flash memory is the wave of the future anyway; you might as well get used to it. I could get a 128Gb hard drive for like $1500, so maybe I should wait a little longer.

Saule Cogneur said...

Oops, "Yvette at the head."

Maria said...

I am crying at the image of you "flying" on the treadmill. Hilarious.

Monica said...

Hey, I'm glad you made it out to the gym again. But I'm a little disappointed that you didn't push through another 1 minute to make your treadmill run a nice 15.