Friday, March 07, 2008

yrdraziw wen


So I'm working on some HTML programming basics and I'm coming across some pretty unique code. Anybody ever try out the "bdo" command? Yeah, it's the first for me as well.

It's funny. I've been thinking about modern computer science lately and I really do relate it to fantasy wizardry in a couple of senses. Perhaps it's because I've been playing so many old-school RPG computer games in the past few months. In those old games magic is performed in two separate ways. One way is with magical items or ingredients such as reagents or wands or something. Another way is through incantation, or simply through words. Although the items to perform the magic are obvious, both methods are still "magic" because the science of it can't be explained by commoners.

Now, fantasy aside, we get two types of people who work technological computer magic. One type uses hardware -- special devices or specific programs they've mastered in ways that bewilder the commoners. The other type uses programming or special words to manipulate the digital universe.


Is it any wonder computer geeks love fantasy role-playing so much?

© jonmadsen ¥28112 ÷ £14

4 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

.lacigolonhcet si sdrawkcab drow etirovaf yM

Maria said...

Very interesting observation - you are probably right.

joN. said...

it's come to my attention that the awesome html coding doesn't work in safari. sorry to all you mac weirdoes

Johnny Metropolis said...

.racecar a civic I pop bob I toot a level I eye radar

Man this spelling backwards thing is too hard for me.