Sunday, April 06, 2008

in memoriam: 1924-2008


So Moses the servant of the Lord died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the Lord. And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Beth-peor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day. And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated... And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, In all the signs and the wonders, which the Lord sent him to do in the land of Egypt to Pharaoh, and to all his servants, and to all his land, And in all that mighty hand, and in all the great terror which Moses shewed in the sight of all Israel.
-Deuteronomy 34: 5-12

"
If this god is God, he would live on every mountain, in every valley. He would not be the god of Ishmael or Israel alone, but of all men. It is said he created all men in his image. He would dwell in every heart, every mind, every soul."

"All who thirst for freedom may come with us. The shadow of death will pass over us tonight, and tomorrow we will see the light of freedom."

"Almost at the moment He died, I heard Him say, 'Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.' Even then. And I felt His voice take the sword out of my hand."

"I tried not to come. I tried, I told my love it had no right to live. But my love won't die..."

"I have orders to bring you to God... heathen."

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be."

"Imagine me needing someone. Back on Earth I never did. Oh, there were women. Lots of women. Lots of love-making but no love. You see, that was the kind of world we'd made. So I left, because there was no one to hold me there."

"You who are reading me now are a different breed - I hope a better one. I leave the 20th century with no regrets. But one more thing - if anybody's listening, that is. Nothing scientific. It's purely personal. But seen from out here everything seems different. Time bends. Space is boundless. It squashes a man's ego. I feel lonely. That's about it. Tell me, though. Does man, that marvel of the universe, that glorious paradox who sent me to the stars, still make war against his brother? Keep his neighbor's children starving?"

"Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!"


*sigh* I'm gonna miss you so hard, Chuck!


3 comments:

Johnny Metropolis said...

Me too.

(sob)

Maria said...

You guys should have a "Chuck night" - I'm just sayin', I think it will help you out...

J.R. said...

Thank you Jon. Very fitting. No better way to sum up the man himself than with his own words. He didn't play those parts. He was those parts.