Thursday, October 09, 2008

greetings from the grave in my mind



The holiday season is upon us! Look! My supernatural ghostly powers are finally manifesting themselves! Sorry -- the video has like 30 seconds of black at the end.

It's all coming together people. I'm not totally ready for Halloween, but every single Halloweeny element is coming together. Most know that Halloween is by far my favorite holiday. Its lead over Christmas has steadily increased ever since I stopped buying gifts for people. This time, right now, is my holiday season. It's not all done, but it's coming together.

The script for the movie is finished and we'll be shooting this weekend (if people show up).

The Halloween 2008 cd playlist is finished and awaiting artwork and dialogue clips.

Nightmare on 13th is open and willing to accept us and our money.

My Frightmares pass is burning a hole in my pocket.

J.R.'s movie of the month is stacked scary.

My Netflix queue is filled with Suspiria, Ghoulies, House (the movie, not the tv show), and the like.

In the words of Garhalloweenfield -- "Candycandycandycandy."

About the only thing not working is my costume. I'm thinking of doing a repeat from a few years ago. Some people say that's lame and it totally is, but this is the 30th year in a row that I've costumed up. I deserve a break more than most.

Any ideas? And don't say skanky elephant. I've got some rules. It's gotta be scary. The weird, macabre stuff is what I like about Halloween, so I'm not gonna dress up as a roll of paper towels or something (unless it's an evil roll of paper towels).

Also, I don't want to wear a mask. Masks are annoying to wear and you also can't tell who someone is in a mask. I know that sounds weird since a costume is essentially a disguise, but I feel that a Halloween costume should represent some hidden recess about the self and not necessarily be something to hide completely behind. Also, I know the Church frowns on masks. I have no idea why. All I know is that there's this tenuous relationship with Halloween and I gotta play nice or pretty soon it's gonna be like "Alright, that's it. No more Halloween!" I'm thinking it'll happen in the next 15 years or so. It will be kind of cool to tell my kids about Halloween and be like, ha! In your face!

As long as we're talking about costumes, perhaps I should address the whole skank thing. Listen. I'm no prude, but I hope the sexification of the holiday ends. I don't like my holiday of fun darkness being replaced so exclusively by temporary sexuality. Like I said, I'm no prude -- save the skank stuff for the other 364 days of the year.

Hey, last note. Be sure to get out of Reader and check out the Song of the Moment on the site itself. I'm sure to adjust it for the times often this month.

5 comments:

Maria said...

You could work on some awesome make up and be a decaying zombie= think Thriller video. That would be cool....

Anonymous said...

The Church frowns on masks? Huh?

Re: skankification
I think it works under the same principle as the internet, i.e. since people think their identity is masked (or that "i'm only dressing like a skank because it's halloween, I'm not really a skank"), they do stupid things.

J.R. said...

It's apparent to me that you need to break out Magneto again. But a scary Magneto. Magneto who spams peoples' email accounts or something.

My biggest qualm is with people dressing up as something completely unrelated to halloween (read not scary). Halloween has nothing to do with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, unless they are also undead. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Steph said...

You don't want to dress up as matching skanky elephants for all the parties? Too bad, I'll just have to go it alone.

Unknown said...

I totally think the whole zombie thing would be really cool and easy with a trip to DI. I know we had this talk, and I am doing exactly what I have tried to stay away from my whole growing up years of Halloween. It's my favorite holiday too, besides 4th of July which I think might actually be in 2nd place now since I can't celebrate that holiday as long as I can Halloween (I had a good long thought process of this tonight as I was considering moving it up to first place), so I really hate what I am about to do, but just can't wait to see it when it comes in the mail! It should be here on the 13th.