Tuesday, March 23, 2010

ward aladdin movie

So the stake had this big film festival tonight (whoops, past midnight -- I guess yesterday). We found out about it a month ago and it was the bright idea of Roxy to do an Aladdin silent movie.



The ward gathered to film a week ago and then Roxy and I spent the weekend putting the thing together. Roxy drew ALL the backgrounds and also the rocks, clouds, lightning, cage, the palace, etc. Pretty darn cool. I envy her.

I must say the movie did turn out well, but there's a reason filmy people use a GREEN screen rather than a RED screen. People are a little more red, so sometimes the chroma keyer totally makes film subjects' skin disappear. Freaky looking indeed.

Anyway, as usual all involved were incredibly good sports and consummate professionals while I had a steady series of anxiety attacks.

Roxy put together the great credits sequence because so many people helped, but only five of them got any screen time. So the kudos are deserved. It was also her idea to give the villain a weird lisp -- which if anybody thinks is too un-PC... it was her idea.

Probably the biggest laugh we got during the screening was when Kathleen says her name is "Badroulbadour." As usual the biggest laugh from one of my little videos comes from a non-joke. According to Wikipedia anyway, that's the actual name of the princess in the story.

Anyway, it was waaaaay fun for me to really experiment with some stuff I haven't really gotten my hands dirty with like the chroma keying and also animation and split screen. So fun!

And thanks everyone who helped out! It's amazing how cool people are to do that.

7 comments:

Scott said...

That looks freaking great, I love it! Wish I could have been there for the premier.

Laura Lee said...

Nice work guys!

I was loving the music too. Awww, good ol 41st ward.

Craig Barlow B. said...

This was excellent. You guys did an awesome job

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

You & Roxy make magic together!! Loved it! Let me know If you need me to be a script supervisor again. It was a lot of fun!

ROXY MARJ said...

PROPS TO YOU MY FRIEND! SERIOUSLY! WE MUST do another film [ward included] together before I move... :( I'VE GOT THEE BUG!!!! Check out my photos on my blog! Hilarious!

Charlotta-love said...

Again, nicely done. I especially loved the lamp. I never knew Aladdin preferred wicker lamp shades. The things movies teach me.

MandiScandal said...

so, laura and annie are both on your blog roll but I noticed I am not. that's just rude. I'm the coolest of the roommates! do it now...or ill hit you in the eye again!