Friday, February 02, 2007

my earliest super bowl memory (so glorious!!!)

To celebrate "Da Bearsss" upcoming Super Bowl effort I have unearthed this wonderful gem from the last time they were there. The fusion of football, drum machine beats and intense state-of-the-art video editing make this a vibrant collectible well ahead of its time. I constantly find myself defending my favorite decade. I think this clip should put all you 80s hatas in your place.


Super Bowl Shuffle - video powered by Metacafe

Hey that reminds me of my favorite joke from 1986:

Ditka and the Bears were all gathered in the locker room before the big game. For team unity, Ditka asks William Perry to say The Lord's Prayer. Jim McMahon leans over to Walter Payton and says, "I bet you 100 bucks The Fridge doesn't know The Lord's Prayer." Perry then begins the prayer: "Now I lay me down to sleep..." The Bears say amen and are polite to The Refrigerator. About five minutes later McMahon hands Payton a hundred dollar bill and says, "I could've sworn he didn't know it."

1 comment:

Maria said...

That video was absolutely groundbreaking - a female referee and the first white man rapping! I had no idea that the super bowl shuffle "would set you free". Who knew?

I love the joke at the end. I loved that skit.