Friday, March 16, 2007

the 24/7 full moon.

I've spoken before about a technological curse I've had over the past few years (I've also spoken of it here and here and here and here and here and here). Just to sum up: computers don't work when I use them.

I hoped to rid myself of the curse by switching over to a Mac. I sort of explained my reasons for wanting to do so, but let me make it more clear. It's not necessarily because I think Macs are better. It's that PCs and I obviously don't work well together. It's kind of like The Police. Three awesome musicians in the biggest band in the world and they need to break up because although they're individually incredible, they were incredibly destructive in a group setting. Of course I actually heard that Sting once said that he left The Police because he was finally rich enough to hire real musicians. I'm pretty sure that's not an accurate quote, but I sure hope it is. Who knows, maybe just like The Police, I'll get back together with a PC in 20 years.

So anyway, I haven't mentioned this yet, but my unnamed Mac has had some problems. Not big, mind you. Not big at all. For some reason the packaged musical loops in Garageband didn't register with that program. I knew the loop files actually existed, but I couldn't open them up directly in Garageband for some reason. Strangely, everyone else I know who got a Mac at the same time I did (I know three people who got one within a month of my getting one) did not have this same problem. Curses!

So I tried physically moving the files around like it said to do in an online help file I found. Nope. I tried reinstalling the loops from an original cd. That didn't work either. Apparently, even though it was a minor problem, it was a very original one. This last Thursday I finally took the unnamed to the Apple Store. They have a Genius Bar there for people with computer questions. My "genius" uninstalled, reinstalled, moved files and turned stuff off and on for two hours. Nothing. The problem was completely new. It was solved, however. One of the other "geniuses" discovered that there were text files in the loop file that were somehow interfering with the folder's function. He removed them and it worked, but not before telling me that such a thing made no sense since those text files are actually supposed to be there and are there on other Macs with no problems.

I wish Macs and PCs weren't so compatible. Obviously, they've been talking to each other about me.

2 comments:

Saule Cogneur said...

It looks like you finally understand. Gates and Jobs were never enemies; they are brothers.

Why would either one make an OS that actually worked? They'd have no one to buy their upgrades. Just as pro sports were never about ogrely competitions, the PC was never about convenience. A simple fact of capitalism.

Anonymous said...

Don't ever tough my laptop. :-)