Tuesday, March 27, 2007

the golden age of wireless

It's been a little while so I'm pretty obligated to post at least a musing (not necessarily amusing).

People who know me pretty well know that I have a constant fear and giddy anticipation for the time when technology officially enslaves mankind. It's portrayed in a majority of science fiction literature and film, so I think I'm preparing pretty well. One of the major perks to it all is actually becoming a cyborg. Usually cyborgs are portrayed as half-breed zombies with less humanity than even their "full-blooded" android cousins. Thanks a lot Star Trek. I don't think that cyborgs necessarily need such a bad rep. I think done right, we could have the best of biology and technology literally at our fingertips... actually that's a bad expression to use since it would be literally within our fingertips. Man! That's quite a concept when my semi-hyperbole expressions don't even come close to making the point.

Sorry, that was too many words.

There's an incredible cd (that I don't own) by Thomas Dolby called The Golden Age of Wireless. I believe the American version came out in 1982. It was repackaged with his hit single "She Blinded Me With Science" that you've probably heard. Don't confuse this particular album with The Age of Plastic by The Buggles which came out a year or two earlier and contained the hit "Video Killed the Radio Star," although both albums contain several of the themes I'm talking about here. That's one thing I love about early 80s synth-pop -- while a lot of the 90s alternative described how we feel now, the 80s stuff I'm talking about talked a lot about how we live now.

Whoops, I forgot to mention why wonderful wireless is relevant to what I was talking about before. You may be able to tell that I'm EXTREMELY tired at the moment. Have I mentioned how I gauge my level of energy? I probably have, but I'll mention it again anyway. However much energy my cel phone has is precisely how much energy I have. My functionality is directly related to my most important wireless device. Now my video games and a bunch of other stuff are all wireless too. Being a cyborg isn't too bad, now that we've surpassed all those ugly wires sticking out of us. Who says we need to actually look like zombies?

So anyway, I don't know if this is related to the upcoming revolution or just my intense weariness of late, but I was studying the Final Cut Pro instruction manual today and I was very impressed at how empathetic the technical writing was concerning instructing me on developing my own editing style. I nearly cried.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Awwww... Final Cut always knows just what to say...

I was crazy tired last night as well. I went right to bed when I left you to spend time with your no-name mac. It doesn't suprise me- my cell phone was dead when I got home...that explains EVERYTHING!