Monday, February 25, 2008

for those of you who don't know, i totally ROCKED my oscar picks

I missed the "makeup" category partially because my vote was almost a joke.

I also missed "film editing" and "sound mixing" because I didn't realize that these technical awards were the ones that Bourne Ultimatum would sweep. I did guess Bourne correctly for "sound editing," though.

I missed "costume design" by picking the unseen Sweeny Todd over the actual winner (and movie I actually did see) Elizabeth: The Golden Age. I mistakenly thought that Elizabeth's costumes were too "obvious."

Peter & the Wolf was the winner of "animated short film," but how was I supposed to know that? It's not like I had any possibility of actually viewing the film.

There Will Be Blood won for cinematography, and I should have voted for it, since I knew it would probably win more than just for best actor.

Taxi to the Dark Side won for documentary, which I don't think many people saw coming with No End in Sight and Sicko in that category.

One thing I failed to mention in my previous blog post is that while I wanted Persepolis to win the animation category, I actually thought that Ratatouille would actually win. Sorry about that. I marked it on my EW tear-away ballot and everything.

Here's what I did get right: "original song" (and that win from Once was the award-highlight), "original score," "sound editing" (already mentioned), "art direction," "live action short film" (yes, despite knowing nothing about any of the entries), "visual effects," "adapted screenplay," "original screenplay," "foreign language film," "animated feature" (if you believe me that I actually did think Ratatouille would take it -- and why wouldn't I?), "documentary short," "director," "supporting actor," "actress," "actor" and "best picture."

Also notice that another great thing happened when Tilda Swinton (my "should" pick) beat Cate Blanchett (my "will" pick). If we count my "should" pick I picked every one of the "big six" categories: picture, actor, actress, supporting actor, supporting actress and director.

So I guess officially I got 16 of the 24 correct with an emphasis on the biggies. Pretty Okay. This was the one year I wasn't part of any type of pool at all. Figures.

1 comment:

Johnny Metropolis said...

You beat me by one... almost exactly too, I picked Ellen Page - which I knew better. I didn't get "Sound Editing", but I did get "costume design" so you beat me by one 15-24.