Sunday, February 03, 2008

song of the moment archive

Hi! This is the song of the moment archive. Come back here if you want to listen to any awesome songs of the moment from days of yore. Check out Archive II.

"Knowing Me, Knowing You" by ABBA


So Mamma Mia!, in a genius counter-programming move opened against The Dark Knight this past weekend. I'm probably one of very few individuals who wanted to see both movies. Mamma Mia! is actually pretty uncool as a story, but at least it has ABBA songs. Way back in '92 or around then, one of my favorite bands, Erasure, released an interesting EP called "Abba-Esque." The four songs were pretty good, I thought. Soon later I discovered that Erasure didn't write these songs and the originals were written by some band I never heard of called ABBA. After educating myself of Sweden's biggest export I put up my hands and blamed the world. I had been on the earth for like 15 years and NOBODY TOLD ME THAT ABBA EXISTED! It's always been something I've been sort of angry about. Anyway, this song was curiously missing from Mamma Mia! I would have put on here the creepy song "The Day Before You Came," but I couldn't find it anywhere.

"What's Your Name?" and "Surrender" by Depeche Mode




We did some DM last time, but gotta throw these on. Last week, my friend Scott embarrassed me by giving a shout-out to "What's Your Name?" which he said was the "gayest song ever." I didn't know what he was talking about since I was unfamiliar with the song. I was then called out as a fan. Since then, I've found my copy and become familiar with it. It is super-gay. I had my vengeance later in the week when I told Scott that "Surrender" has been in my head all month. He confessed he was unfamiliar with THAT song, which I consider to be extremely discoey for late 90s-era Mode. So everything works out. Scott and I, it turns out are both not the fans we thought we were.

"Everything Counts" by Depeche Mode


So it turns out that today (June 18th, 2008) is the 20th anniversary of the historic Depeche Mode "101" show at the Rose Bowl. That's not 20 years of Depeche Mode being together -- that's 20 years since their biggest concert. I feel terribly old today. This song is about capitalist greed. During the 101 movie, this song is intercut by the DM accountants counting all the money everyone made from the show.

"Texarkana" by R.E.M.


I just saw a recent MST3k called Boggy Creek II. It involves a pervy southern professor and some of his college pupils looking for a man-ape near Texarkana. I'm not kidding when I say that this song has better cinematography than that film.

"Push" by The Cure


"I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" by The White Stripes


"Truth Doesn't Make a Noise" by The White Stripes


Everybody knows The White Stripes, but many aren't aware of their work before their third album. Here's a gem from their second album (possibly my favorite album). This song is great because it sounds like it's totally in a seedy saloon and some unwelcome guest just walked through the swinging doors. When the piano cue kicks in at about 1:28 I always get a smile on my face.

"Stinging Velvet" by Neko Case


I really hate country, but this alt-country chick is pretty cool. She's also in a pretty popular indie band. Maria loves her voice really hard. I think she sounds like a cowgirl in outer space and that's a good thing.

"Statues" by Foo Fighters


This is my favorite song from the new Foo Fighters album. It sounds like vintage Wings!


"Midnight" by Yaz


A year after forming Depeche Mode, Vince Clarke quit the band and put out a classified looking for a "bluesy singer." When Alison Moyet answered the ad, Yazoo was formed (Yaz in America). Here's one of those beautiful songs from the 80s that sometimes I think only I understand. A lot of synth haters feel that the music isn't organic enough -- that it just isn't natural and can't be appreciated with the same intensity as more guitar-driven music. Lots and lots of times that's true. Lots of times the music is cold, menacing and unnatural (which is why I like it usually). Not this track, though. Here's synth music with soul and power. Once you learn the words, sing along and don't be afraid to belt it out. It's quite therapeutic.

"Walnut Tree" by Keane


This guy's voice kinda bugs me, but I think the song is really cool. This is from the O.C. "Mix 2" cd, which I got for Valentine's Day.

"Identity Theft" by Nellie Mckay


She's my favorite songstress. Sort of a really really sarcastic Doris Day. She raps too sometimes (not often).

"Theme For Great Cities" by Simple Minds


This band did the theme song for The Breakfast Club. It's their claim to fame even though they didn't write that song and I think most of their other stuff is far superior. This particular instrumental song sounds way different than anything else I know by them.

"Adam In Chains" by Billy Idol


Since I've been so sick lately I've had a difficult time sleeping. This rare Billy Idol track actually contains a step by step process of hypnotizing! Kick back! Relax!

"Home" by Depeche Mode


I've been listening to this song a lot because I've been at home a lot. This was always a favorite of mine. It's not sung by Dave, the usual DM singer. This one is sung by Martin, the DM songwriter.

"Common People" by William Shatner


All bow to the glorious Shatner! Oh, how glorious!

No comments: