Friday, May 27, 2011

perchance to go insane

Once a month I have a very intense night of constant dreaming.

Sometimes it comes with a sort of fever. It came that way last night. I had to take my socks off and usually I wear socks to bed (with a hoodie and everything -- I really bundle up). Anyway, last night: no socks, no hoodie. Hot. Weird.

I wonder if I don't get proper REM sleep. I also wonder if that Next Generation episode is accurate where they go to a part of space that turns off their REM and so they start hallucinating.

I was dreaming constantly, but the only dream I remember is how I was in high school, and I had to drive my friend and her friend there too. My friend was someone I know now in real life (but not in high school). The car in my dream was a dream car (as in a car in my dream, not necessarily a real boss car (it was like a gold '97 Accord)), BUT the car keys in my dream was the set I have in real life. I was super confused in my dream because I couldn't figure out which key started the thing. None of them worked. They were "reality keys."

I remember when I flirted with being a psych major we went over dreams a little. There were tons of theories, but the one with the shortest explanation was the only one that made sense to me. When we dream, our brains test out certain neurons by firing randomly. Dreams are our brains attempting to make sense of the random neurons going on and off.

The weird thing is, they can't be completely random. For some reason, I have a constant recurring dream theme of not showing up for high school classes. It's a steady nightmare. But I never worried about it when I was actually in high school.

I had to adjust after seven hours of steady dreaming. For my first three hours of actual consciousness today it felt less real than trying to drive two people to high school in a car I've never been in, from what looked like my first flat in New Zealand -- and at 11:00 pm now that I think about it. I had to force my way back into reality. Never much had a grasp in the first place, I suppose.

Anyway, I just got back from seeing The Hangover Part II. Check my Twitter account for what I thought of it.

5 comments:

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

Dreams are awesome and I think you can tell a lot of whats going on in your subconscious...sometimes (sometimes dreams are just bizarro). I don't really have this dream anymore (guess I've come to terms with that issue), but from the time I was little to my 20's my nightmares were always about me trying to save a group of people and I was paranoid one person would slip through the cracks and I would leave them behind. I think it stemmed from my mom telling me when I was young that she thought I would be the one to bring my siblings back into the church, so it was burned in my mind that I needed to "save" everyone. It's a lot of pressure to save souls when your a kid! Anyway, I love dreams and trying to interpret them. Once I get all my stuff unpacked at Scotts I can find my dream book and we can analyze you! :-)

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Johnny 5 said...

So, I have the highschool dream too. For some reason I have to go back and re-take a class. "But I'm in grad school" I tell them, no dice. I always miss Algebra, forget what my locker combo is, schedule of classes, etc. wierd, or I'm back on my highschool baseball team again. Senior year didn't go so well, but it seems like I never get my chance to redeem myself. This is probably more info than you wanted but I thought it was a funny coincidence we have a similar recurring dream

dre said...

I have the H.S. dream too, and almost just like Johnny 5 I have to retake a class/test and totally miss algebra. I looked that one up and the dream means you are not putting your whole effort into a project. So when I buckled down and did a better job in real life the dream stopped.

I'm fascinated with dreams and use this website a lot. http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

I'm trying to figure out why I dreamed last night about dune buggying around grizzly bears as a new extreme sport.

Charlotta-love said...

I took a nap the other day and had a dream in which I was driving. In my dream a friend sent me a text and asked what I was doing. I replied, "I'm taking a nap and driving." He asked how that was possible and I said I didn't know, but I was in fact napping and driving.

weird when the dream co-exists with reality. Totally doesn't make sense.