Wednesday, September 13, 2006

when a star becomes a supernova

Don't have much time, so I'll get right to the point. Tonight is the season finale of Rockstar: Supernova (for the uninformed, this show is an American Idol-type show where people compete to be the lead singer of a band called Supernova (Supernova is a supergroup composed of Tommy Lee of Motley Crue, Gilby Clarke of Guns 'N Roses and Jason Newsted of Metallica (Jason Newsted is quite strange and it's easy to see why the band hazed him for 15 straight years))). Tonight they pick the new lead singer. From the very first episode I had my picks going on. I hated Dilanna and Lukas. Dilanna is a smoky voiced demon from Hell and Lukas may even be more pathetically Canadian than last year's winner J.D. Fortune...

(a comment should be made about last year -- I think it's safe to say that I got all my friends to watch Rockstar because last year (the first year) the band in need of a new lead singer was INXS. INXS was actually my favorite band growing up so I actually had a vested interest in who their new lead singer would be. Anyway, I decided very early on that I hated the wussy Canadian J.D. Fortune and I loved Marty Casey. Casey would go on to write the song of the year ("Trees" (omigosh! I think I forgot to include it in the songs of the year for last year! Curses!), but come in second to the snivelling Canuck got the gig)

...Yeah, so anyway I also decided that I liked the brazen, ridiculously overacting Storm Large and also the single-named bald wonder from Reykjavik, Magni.

Storm, sadly, was eliminated last week (much to the rejoicement of my friends Kristi and Stephanie who watch Rockstar independent of my usual watching group and came to the opposite conclusion of Storm's merits). Magni, however has stayed strong and is in the top four. Strangely, the demonic twosome of Dilanna and Lukas also managed to worm their way into the final four (rounding out the four is the girlie-fave Aussie named Toby Rand. He's adequate enough. He's got a fat head, but I wouldn't mind if he won). I have this fear that Supernova really prefer Dilanna and Lukas, because if there was any justice in the world they would be gone long ago. Dilanna made disparaging remarks about her fellow contestants and then martyred herself on her own mistake. Lukas doesn't know how to sing with a microphone, but he's good at emulating the screamo shiz all 19-year-olds apparently love right now.

Sorry, what's the point of all this? The point is, go to rockstar.msn.com and vote for Magni. Iceland needs to be on the map.

He actually sang the best bald version of "Creep" by Radiohead I've ever ever heard (beating out Moby's version he sang at In the Venue a few years ago).

4 comments:

Laura Lee said...

I'm all about Magni. I'm worried about him though because although he is my favorite singer on the show right now, I don't know how much Supernova thinks he'll fit with their style.

Magni will make better music without them.

Toby is probably their best bet. They would fight too much with Lukas and Dilana would inadvertently run their image into the ground in the name of "honesty"

joN. said...

i had this same problem last year. it was clear to everyone that marty was way cooler and way more engaging, but ultimately j.d. was picked because he was more inxs-like. as the absolute biggest inxs fan i know, i still wanted the guy who DIDN'T fit the inxs mold. i totally feel it would benefit the band to hire a musician instead of a poseur.

Maker said...

I have never seen this show but I voted for Magni.

Rhett said...

Dude. Moby's version of Creep was better. By far. Maybe because it was live. Regardless, it was better.