Wednesday, December 31, 2008

some best songs of 2008!

Usually I rank as many songs of the year as new movies I saw. After stressing out about this for a couple of days I'm finding that to be impossible. Since my car stereo was stolen this year, I've hardly listened to any music at all this past year. Tragic I know. My New Year's resolution is to listen to a lot more music so I can tell people what to listen to next year.

Anyway, I think I'll just list a bunch of songs this year that I heard (or from bands that I know are awesome anyway) that I liked enough to make the list. We're not gonna hit 43, but maybe we can shoot for like 30 or so.

Here are some songs from this year totally worth noting:

"Viva La Vida" by Coldplay
"Human" by The Killers
"Ricochet" by Shiny Toy Guns
"I Don't Care" by Fall Out Boy
"Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" by Beyonce Knowles
"Whatever It Takes" by Tom Morello
"Ulysses" by Franz Ferdinand
"Children of the Night" by NosfeROYtu
"Chill Factory" by Jon Madsen featuring Thom Yorke of Radiohead
"Bruises" by Chairlift
"I Feel It All" by Feist
"Something is Not Right With Me" by Cold War Kids
"Mercy" by Duffy
"The Reckoner" by Radiohead
"Circus" by Britney Spears
"No Sex For Ben" by The Rapture
"Addicted to Drugs" by Kaiser Chiefs
"Don't Trust Me" by 3OH!3
"J*** in My Pants" by Andy Samberg and Jorma Taccone
That one song by Katy Perry that's not "Kissed a Girl"

And here's the top 10:

10. "Salute Your Solution" by The Raconteurs
Nice to see Jack taking his other band more seriously now that The White Stripes are imploding.

9. "Disturbia" by Rhianna
It's been said before.

8. "I Will Possess Your Heart" by Death Cab For Cutie
This song TOTALLY gives away my game.

7. "A-Punk" by Vampire Weekend
Finally! Some bright, wicked old school ska! I'm talkin' real old school here.

6. "Low" by Flo Rida featuring T-Pain
It certainly made Step Up 2 the Streets watchable. Plus, it was all that was playing for a couple of months.

5. "Pork and Beans" by Weezer
Mmmm. Good.

4. "Love Lockdown" by Kanye West
Man! He seems to make my list every single year. Kanye, stay in the studio. Don't make public appearances. Just stay in the studio and work it hard.

3. "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon
Sweeping. Epic. Awesome.

2. "Paper Planes" by M.I.A.
I was really annoyed that this song wasn't in Pineapple Express, but was overjoyed when it was in Slumdog Millionaire. It samples from my favorite Clash song. Cool.

1. "Untouched" by The Veronicas.
Yeah. That's right. I said it. My favorite song of 2008 is by The Veronicas. Sue me. You won't win. This probably came out in 2007, but I've only heard it recently.

I also want to send a special shout-out to The Jonas Brothers. Hey guys, I've never heard your music, but hang in there. I know everybody's making fun of you but it's just because you're exceptionally talented ten years before you're supposed to be. At least I've heard you're talented. I assume that the writing and performing of chart-topping songs while you're still in high school has got to take some talent. Anyway, you may not deserve more fans, but you deserve respect. Let it shine, boys! Let's see what you come up with in your 20s.

2 comments:

Maria said...

"Paper planes" makes the kids in New York lose their minds at paties. Seriously...like almost jumping out the window they are so pumped.

Kanye is the tiniest guy I have ever seen that is not a midget. He really shouldn't perform live...ever. Its too bad because he usually has cool staging.

Kina and Nathan said...

Hey Jon, I hope it's okay that I'm looking at your blog. I found it from Jamies Jabooty (hehe, I just have to say it). I feel out of the loop with some the music listed...of course canada is a year or two behind the US so...but you can't go wrong with coldplay or the killers. Can't stand Beyonce and Rihanna but dang them, their songs are so over played they get stuck in my head AND I know all the words. guilty pleasure...circus. That song rocks!