Sunday, May 25, 2008

push me away

This last Friday I decided to go to the ward pool party instead of seeing The Cure live show. I figured I've already seen The Cure twice and had my fill. I also felt like being a little social and didn't want to attend a concert by myself (again).

Of course the last time I saw them I was very disappointed in their setlist. My hopes were up too, since I met a girl there who had seen them three other times on the same tour. I listed off all my favorite songs and she said they played them all at their other venues. That day they didn't play any of the songs I asked about. The time I saw them before that, they mostly supported their Bloodflowers cd from the late 90s (which hasn't been listened to by me in nearly a decade).

Anyway, I went to the pool party and it was very very fun. Yesterday I strolled over to http://thecuretour2008.blogspot.com/ to see what I missed. Here's the Salt Lake setlist:

plainsong
fascination street
a night like this
the walk
the end of the world
lovesong
pictures of you
lullaby
catch
the perfect boy
from the edge of the deep green sea
othervoices
sleep when i'm dead
push
friday i'm in love
inbetween days
just like heaven
a letter to elise
shake dog shake
never enough
hot hot hot
the only one
wrong number
one hundred years
disintegration

Encore:

at night
m
play for today
a forest

Encore 2:

boys don't cry
jumping someone else's train
grinding halt
10:15 saturday night
killing an arab

Encore 3:

why can't i be you?

Astute Cure fans may notice that they not only played a lot of stuff I didn't need ("Friday I'm In Love"), but also a bunch of stuff that I love and have never heard live ("The Walk," "Catch," "Wrong Number," "Why Can't I Be You?"). They even played "Never Enough," a very special fave of mine. But the real bruiser of a detail is that they played "Push," which is my favorite Cure song ever (not that you'll agree with me, but you can listen to it as my current "song of the moment"). Maybe I should've gone. I bet I could've gotten real cheap tickets. I heard they had a real hard time getting people to buy this time around. That may also mean the band won't come back (and now I feel responsible if that's the case).

Funny enough, I just checked out what I wrote online from the last show which was four years ago. Here's my summation from that event:
Since we were pushed to the front and I had more energy and the set had more songs I was familiar with, the show was a lot better than the one I saw in Denver. Of course, when the Cure rolls back around in five years I'll have to see them again. I still didn't get "High" and they didn't "Push" me and I never got "Never Enough."
I guess now I'm no fan. *sniff*

4 comments:

J.R. said...

I'm sorry Jon I really feel for you. The Denver concert was a bit of a bummer. Esp since we traveled to it. I find that once every 2 years or so I listen to Bloodflowers out of obligation. BTW NO ONE EVER TOURS TO HAWAII!!!!

Maria said...

Woah, WOAH , woah... I did not know you were missing the Cure for the pool party. I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of worried about you. Also, you know how I feel about supporting the bands you love when they are in town.....

Rhett said...

I would feel bad for JR, but he lives in Hawaii...

And Maria, if jon had gone, then they wouldn't have play those songs. You see jon upset this guy named Murphy years ago and so Murphy got this law passed... too bad.

Steph said...

I think you made the right choice by attending the pool party. You learned how to wrap your head in a towel like a girl -- that's a valuable life skill.