Friday, May 23, 2008

talk to you next friday

I want to get off the hiatus of The Jon Madsen Movie Commentary Podcast.


We haven't done a new commentary in several months and it's totally time to start up again. Part of the problem is that logistically it's pretty hard to reserve a time and place as well as worry about all the technical issues (i.e. where to put our one microphone and having enough headphones for everybody, etc.). A bigger problem is simply getting people to do it with me. It's difficult to cram people into my room or wherever we do it and I always feel weird asking people to do it, because even though it's a lot of fun, it's still sort of a favor to me.

Anyway, I want to try something pioneering in the practice of movie commentaries. A week from today at 3:00 p.m. (schedule permitting), I'm going to watch and comment on the movie Sixteen Candles.


Here's the deal. If you're reading this, I want YOU to participate. What I'm going to do is broadcast my voice over my account on Ustream. Also, I now have the technology available to me to broadcast the video of Sixteen Candles at the same time. That way, as you're watching the movie through Ustream, you can go ahead and chat with me what YOU want to say about the movie and then I can say it. Doesn't that sound fun? I know, I love Sixteen Candles too. Hopefully since it's a Friday afternoon, many of you won't have too much of a workload.

You may be asking the question right now, "Jon, if we're watching the movie at the same time how are we going to chat in our comments in time for you to say them at the appropriate time?" Well, the answer to that is that the movie you watch will be broadcast to you 30 seconds before the movie I watch. That way we can plan for the chatting delay and the Ustream broadcast delay. Oh, and before you can chat, you may need to sign up with Ustream. Don't worry, you don't need to pay any money and you have a whole week to do so.

Hopefully it works. Please help me make it work. And I still want to do the live commentaries. If you want to do one please let me know and I'll make whatever accommodations you need. I'm looking at you, Brad the archeologist, about a possible Raiders of the Lost Ark commentary (gosh, we really should have done it before the new movie came out).

Anyway, Friday May 30th at 3:00 MST. Mark it!

3 comments:

Maria said...

wow- I really hope I can make it. I haven't been home before 8:00 p.m. since I've moved to this blasted city, so we will see.

Rhett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhett said...

Wow... someone's girlfriend doesn't sound supportive... just sayin'.

And I can't get ustream at work. dang.