Saturday, November 24, 2007

red vs. blue. plus some green by way of orange.

Click here for the results of the game.

I get pretty sick of the rivalry year after year. It's not like I'm a huge sports fan or anything. I just get sucked into the intensity. I'd like to think that I'm above it all, but there are too many outside variables. If I were a better person I wouldn't let it get to me so much. Maybe a lot of it is my need to defend all the uninteresting things about me: white, Utah County, BYU, male, middle-class family, etc. On paper, I'm like so Whitey.

This year I figured the only way the rivalry would die down would be if there was just a boring game. That's probably what we all need. It's sort of like how Paris Hilton won't go away even if everyone hates her. The only way to get rid of her is if everyone was just apathetic about her. We almost had it too, this year. It was just field goals all the way to the fourth quarter. Suddenly I and my other blue were looking down the barrel of defeat and humiliation -- again.

It all worked out though. We're saved. I think we take it quite well. If the game went the other way, you can bet there will be a lot more talking about it in the future. But it went our way. That means I'll be able to just live my life in wonderful silence about the whole rivalry if I choose to. I'll choose to too.

Completely unrelated -- I just realized a couple of hours ago that yesterday when we were at Red Robin, our server/bartender gave us a free orange drink that he had made extra or something. Free Food Friday strikes again! Kind of in a mellow way, but yeah.

1 comment:

J.R. said...

Jon the rivalry is not to be avoided but reveled in. Yes it would have sucked if BYU had lost. And yes I went from near tears to screaming my head off. But what matters is being proud of who you are. Being a BYU fan is no better than being a Ute fan but there it is. We ARE BYU fans and for one more year it's sweetness.