Wednesday, November 14, 2007

what kind of presidential name is mitt anyway?

Rhett came in yesterday and said something apparently obvious, but still intriguing. "You realize that there's actually a pretty good chance that the two people running for president might be Hilary Clinton and Mitt Romney?"

Immediately it made me recall what an old New Testament professor of mine said at BYU. He said that some NT scholars think that Judas thought that he was still on Christ's side at the time of the betrayal. Judas's thinking may have been along the lines of helping to usher in the events to bring about the atonement, rather than the obvious traitorous attitude we see on the surface.

What does that have to do with anything? There's a very thin thread of similarity. Assuming you believe the way I do, a Mormon president of the United States would bring Mormonism into the public eye in a way far more than anything else in the past century or the century to come. It'll be huge. I mean, we freak out when Hinckley gets ten minutes out 60 Minutes. The result would usher in End of Days events to an incredible degree. It would be weird. I've never lived in a world where Mormonism is that mainstream. I prefer my haven out of the world. Heck, I rarely even leave my house.

Maria countered that there is absolutely no way that Romney would ever get elected, because LDS women not having the priesthood would be an issue that Romney's opposition would absolutely crucify him over. With this in mind, guess what big announcement may happen during the April 2008 General Conference?

1 comment:

Saule Cogneur said...

I agree about the freak outs of psycho LDS if Mitt won. But I think if Mitt were going to get lambasted over women in the church, it would have already happened. It's not like only the Democrats care about equality. Mitt is a huge threat to Republicans, why would they not attack that? They aren't all from the Christian Right.

And personally, I think Mormonism has way too many skeletons in and out of its closet to become mainstream at this point in time.